The Help pages below serve as guides to introduce aspiring editors to wiki editing. They cover standard MediaWiki functions, as well as custom UESP features. Experienced users may wish to refer back to this section for reference.
We hope you make use of these guides and look forward to seeing your future work on UESPWiki!
- Navigation — Overview of the wiki's sidebar, page tabs, and user links
- Searching — Take advantage of search features, including namespaces and boolean operators
- Namespaces — UESP uses namespaces extensively to organize its contents
- Disambiguation Pages — What is a disambiguation page?
- New Editors
- Getting Started — Information for new editors
- Helping Out — General suggestions for how to help contribute to UESP
- Task List — Specific tasks that need to be done on the wiki
- Mentor Program — Mentors for new editors who would like one-on-one assistance
- Basic Editing
- Quick Editing Guide — A cheatsheet for basic page formatting symbols
- Editing Pages — How to make your first few edits
- Edit Summary — Tell other editors what you changed
- Show Preview — Preview your edit before saving to fix errors
- Page History — View and work with old revisions of articles
- Starting New Pages — Help UESP fill in the gaps in its coverage!
- Formatting — Adjust page layout, make text bold or italic, create lists, and more
- Links — Link text to other UESP articles or external websites
- Advanced Editing
- Images — Display visual content on articles
- Tables — Display content in rows and columns
- Categories — Place articles in their proper categories for better navigation
- Magic Words — Insert UESP-specific variables and parser functions/subroutines to make dynamic page content
- Templates — Save work and keep pages standardized by entering data into existing templates
- Writing Templates — Understand the basics of template code
- References — Cite your sources, most often in Lore articles
- Other Topics
- ESO Content — Create and edit Elder Scrolls Online articles
- Determining a RefID — Use the Construction Set/Creation Kit to look up RefIDs
- Testing Leveled Lists — Use the Creation Kit to preview leveled list results
- Style Guide — General guidelines for how to write, format, and present pages
- The Sandbox — You can test out your editing at the sandbox
- Prizes — Think someone on the wiki is doing a good job? Then award them with a prize!
- Common Mistakes — Some of the more common mistakes that users make here, and how to avoid and fix them
- Book Page Layout — The standard UESP layout for book articles
- NPC Page Layout — The standard UESP layout for NPC articles
- Place Page Layout — The standard UESP layout for place articles
- Quest Page Layout — The standard UESP layout for quest articles
- Spelling — Spelling rules for commonly misspelled words on UESPWiki
- Lore — Guidelines for articles in the Lore namespace
- Mod — Guidelines for articles in the modspaces
Note: UESP generally follows Wikipedia style. Where guidelines differ, those on UESP policy and help pages should generally prevail.